Robert E. Turffs

Attorney At Law


4837 Swift Road. #100-11
Sarasota, Florida 34231

Phone: (941) 953-9009
Fax: (941) 953-5736

What if I have been injured in an automobile accident?

Under Florida law, if a person is injured in a collision, or if there is significant property damage, the police must be called to investigate the accident. Even if the police do not come, it is essential that you obtain the name, address, insurance company and policy number of each person involved in the accident. You should also get the name and address of the owners of the vehicles in the accident and the tag numbers of all the vehicles in the accident.


If there are independent witnesses to the accident, you should get their names, addresses and telephone numbers as well.


While you must report a collision to your auto insurance carrier in order to preserve your right to make a claim under your policy, generally speaking there is no obligation to speak with the insurance carrier of the other driver. Often it is not in the best interest of an injured person to speak with the opposing insurance carrier without the advice of the lawyer.